In Memory of Ronald Mason

MASON, Ronald - Passed away suddenly at the age of 76, at the Toronto Western Hospital on Friday, January 28, 2005. Ron will be greatly missed and remembered by his four children Dan, Moya, Lisa and Robert and their mother Mary, by his daughters-in-law Ramona and Chantel and his son-in-law Louis, and by his seven grandchildren Dan, Adam, Chantal, Drew, Bobby, Jacob and Jack. Predeceased by his parents Herbert and Eleanor, and his sisters Moira and Sheilagh. An interment of his ashes at Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto will be announced at a later date. The family would like to thank everyone who helped care for Ron in recent years, especially the staffs of Bridgepoint Hospital and Kensington Gardens. Friends are invited to visit to leave and read messages in Ron's memory.
Printed in the Toronto Star, February 02, 2005.

MASON, Ronald -- Passed away suddenly of a heart attack at the age of 76 in Toronto Western Hospital on Friday January 28, 2005. He was the son of Herbert and Eleanor Mason, both immigrants from Ireland. He is very sadly missed by his children Robert, Lisa, Moya, and Danny, who loved their father very much, and by their mother, Mary. His daughters-in-law Chantel and Ramona, his son-in-law Louis, former son-in-law Mike, and his seven grandchildren Daniel, Adam, Chantal, Andrew, Robert, Jacob and Jack will also grieve the loss. Our father spent some of his youth in Stratford, Ontario and later attended Ridley College. As a teenager during WW2, he delivered telegrams to various embassies in Ottawa, where his father was an attaché for the United States government. Over the years our father tried his hand at many professions, including baking at Jackson's Bakery in Hamilton when he was quite young, and working as a traveling sales representative in and around Ontario. He was also a realtor in Florida during the 1960s. He worked on the construction of Expo '67 in Montreal and after its completion, oversaw the art curation at the Canadian Pavilion. From there he began work at the Memorial University Art Gallery of Newfoundland and later opened Gallery Mason, where he sold and framed art for many years, helping to shape the local art scene. In the mid-to-late 1980s he became a fixture on many oil rigs off Newfoundland and in far-flung locations in Africa, working as a baker, chef, chief steward, and camp boss. He ended his working life in Toronto as a landscaper and garden designer, skills he learned as a young man when his parents retired to their fruit farm in Fruitland, Ontario. Our father was a singular fearless brave man, who surrounded us with great books, music, artwork, and conversation. He talked to us about politics and what was going on around the world at the dinner table. He worked hard all of his life for us and inspired us to try our best at everything we do. He was such a powerful force in our lives; we didn't think he would die, not for many more years. We are heart-broken by his passing.
Printed in The Telegram, February 05, 2005.